Published July 20, 2006
Facing the Giants is the story of Grant Taylor (Alex Kendrick), a coach who has never led his Shiloh Eagles to a winning season.
Moreover, if six years of lackluster games have been dismal, other storm clouds are gathering on the horizon: His star player is transferring to another school, a group of fathers secretly are meeting to fire him as head coach, and he and his wife, Brooke (Shannen Fields), face infertility.
Help arrives not in the form of a star quarterback but a visitor who urges Grant to lift his team goals beyond the football field. Fueled by renewed faith, Grant gives his players a new game plan, daring them to believe in the impossible on and off the field. Then, against unbelievable odds, the Eagles step up to their greatest test. And when faith and fear collide, only one is left standing.
• More than 500 Sherwood members volunteered as the cast and crew for the six-week shoot.
• Catering was provided by Sunday school classes in the church.
• UGA head football coach Mark Richt flew down from Athens to act in a scene in the movie.
• The movie is openly Christian and has received high marks from test screen audiences.
• Church members provided the $100,000 in funding which was raised in days.
• All of the proceeds that Sherwood Baptist Church receives are earmarked for a $2.5-million, 40-acre youth recreational park for the community of Albany.
• The film is rated PG (see related story).
• … Giants will be released nationwide in 400 theatres in 85 markets on Sept. 29.
Related articles in this issue:
Copyright © 2013, The Christian Index, All rights reserved, Unless otherwise noted.
6405 Sugarloaf Parkway, Duluth, GA 30097
770-936-5590 / 877-424-6339
Site developed and powered by Sonova Systems